Report of the ASEAN-AIPA Leaders’ Interface on April 2017, Manila – the Philippines
17 October 2017
Heads of Delegation of the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly and President of AIPA HE Speaker Pantaleon D. Alvarez posed “the ASEAN Way” at the Opening of the AIPA Preparatory Meeting for the ASEAN-AIPA Leaders’ Interface at the 30th ASEAN Summit in Manila, the Philippines 28th April 2017.
- The ASEAN Leaders’ Interface with Representatives of the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) during the 30th ASEAN Summit was held on Saturday, 29 April 2017 at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Manila, Philippines.
- The AIPA Preparatory Meeting was held on Friday, 28 April 2017 at Makati Shangri-La Hotel in Manila, Philippines.
- The main agenda of the AIPA Preparatory Meeting was to deliberate and finalize the AIPA Message to be delivered by the President of AIPA at the ASEAN Leaders’ Interface, a meeting between Heads of State/Government of the ASEAN Member States with Speakers/Deputy Speakers/Representatives of the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) during the 30th ASEAN Summit.
AIPA PREPARATORY MEETING
4. Prior to the Interface, AIPA preparatory meeting was held in the Manila AB Ballroom, Makati Shangri-La Hotel that started at 09:00 a.m. on Friday, 28 April 2017.
5. Delegations from ten (10) AIPA Member Parliaments consisting of Speakers, Deputy Speakers and Members of Parliaments and their parliamentary staff attended the AIPA Preparatory Meeting. The Secretary General of AIPA and three (3) AIPA Secretariat staff also attended the meeting.
The list of delegations is attached as Annex A.
6. His Excellency Pantaleon D. Alvarez, President of the AIPA, concurrently Speaker of the House of Representatives, Congress of the Philippines, with great honor and privilege, welcomed the delegations and the Secretary General of AIPA to the AIPA Preparatory Meeting. He highlighted that 2017 is a milestone year as two historic occasions – ASEAN 50th Anniversary and AIPA 40th Anniversary, will be commemorated this year.
7. In his remarks, His Excellency Speaker Alvarez emphasizes important points in the AIPA Message, centered on the three ASEAN pillars. On Political-Security Pillar, the Message stresses the importance of building a regional architecture that promotes ASEAN centrality and unity; and the need for a culture of peace, respect, and dialogue to bridge differences, diffuse tension and counter extremism.
On the Economic Pillar, among other issues, he focused on the promotion of entrepreneurship and human capital development to integrate Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises to the ASEAN Economic Community.
On Socio-Cultural Pillar, he highlighted the need to strengthen human resource development to promote access to skills development and lifelong learning; and to finalize the ASEAN instrument on the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Migrant Workers that recognizes and promotes universal human rights and fundamental principles and rights at work in labour migration
8. While presenting his remarks, he took the opportunity to thank all the delegations for their participation and emphasized the importance of ASEAN – AIPA Interface in enhancing and advocating people’s participation in the ASEAN Community building process. In conclusion, he wished the preparatory meeting and the Interface a truly great and unqualified success.
Welcome Remarks by H.E. Pantaleon D. Alvarez is attached as Annex B.
9. President of AIPA invited Head of Delegations from 10 Member Parliaments to introduce their delegations.
Introduction Remarks by Head of Delegation of each AIPA Member Parliaments are attached as Annex C
10. The meeting considered and adopted the Program of Activities.
The Program of Activities is attached as Annex D
11. The initial draft of AIPA Message was displayed on the screen and was reviewed by all delegations. Deliberation on the draft of the AIPA Message was discussed in amiable, friendly and cooperative fashion, evident of a common shared interest to be reflected in the AIPA Message.
12. Upon the finalization of the AIPA Message, President of AIPA and Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Philippines, H.E. Pantaleon D. Alvarez, delivered his closing remarks.
He took the opportunity to thank all delegations for their constructive inputs to the Message. He was convinced that the interface will be fruitful.
OPENING CEREMONY OF THE 30TH ASEAN SUMMIT
13. The Opening Ceremony of the 30th ASEAN Summit was held at the Philippines International Convention Center (PICC), Manila, Philippines, on 29 April 2017. At the Opening Ceremony, H.E. Rodrigo Roa Duterte, Chairman of ASEAN and President of the Republic of the Philippines delivered his welcome remarks.
He welcomed all ASEAN Heads of State and Government, Secretary General of ASEAN, and all distinguished guests to Manila for the 30th ASEAN Summit. He said ASEAN commemorates this momentous event with those who share ASEAN’s collective dreams and aspirations, as well as its struggles and challenges.
He said that on August 8, 1967, the Founding Fathers of ASEAN laid the foundation of an organization anchored on the importance of unity, solidarity, and cooperation. The cornerstones form part of time – honored principles of international law, mutual respect for the independence, sovereignty, equality, territorial integrity, and national identity of all nations and non-interference in the internal affairs of one another. As visionaries, the ASEAN’s Founding Fathers underscored the value of cultivating and nurturing special bond of friendship despite their diversities as nations and peoples. Envisioned to be relevant and dynamic, ASEAN has made collective achievements and breakthroughs amid momentary setbacks and disagreements.
14. He expressed his gratitude to meeting the leaders of ASEAN Member States in the ten months of his presidency. Guided by the Philippines’ Chairmanship theme – Partnering for Change, Engaging the World – ASEAN is drawn today to reaffirm its aspiration for an ASEAN that works to effect positive change in the lives of the peoples.
He talked of ASEAN as an Association that is proactive, relevant, and transformative – with its six core priorities; building a people-oriented and people-centered ASEAN, maintaining a peaceful and stable region, cooperating in maritime security, advancing inclusive and innovative – led growth, promoting ASEAN’s resiliency, and promoting ASEAN as a model for regionalism and as a global player.
Welcome Speech by H.E. President Rodrigo Roa Duterte is attached as Annex E
Click here to download the full report : Here